Regular home practice is essential for students to progress and succeed. Ideally, students should aim for several practice sessions a week (excluding their lesson).
Short, daily practice sessions are more effective than one or two long sessions per week. The most important time for students to practice is right after their weekly lesson, to solidify what they have just learned. Research has shown that retention of new knowledge drops to 60% after just 24 hours. It’s not a good idea to wait until the end of the week, then “cram” practice right before the next lesson!
Parental involvement in home practice is crucial for student success. If a parent helps their child establish and stick to a practice routine, and arrange for that practice time is free of distractions there will be faster progress. If you are the parent of a primary school aged student, please plan to sit with your child for at least a portion of their daily practice time.
Students are expected to attend each scheduled lesson. When you register for lessons, your time-slot is reserved for you.
Please keep in mind that my diary operates at full capacity and make-ups for missed lessons are not guaranteed.
****No refunds will be given for missed lessons without contact being made beforehand*****.
- In the event that you need to miss a lesson because of a conflict or illness, please contact me with as much advance notice as possible or cancel through your My Music Staff logon on this website. I have a 24 hour cancellation period.
- Any lessons missed by me due to illness, playing commitment or emergency will be rescheduled as soon as possible and notice given.
Please be prompt – lesson times cannot be extended for students who arrive late. Students should be picked up promptly at the end of their lesson time.
Summer and school holiday lessons are always available. Students should expect to continue to play a little through the summer or holidays to maintain their skills.
If you have been (or are unwell) or if you have been near a family member who is sick, please think of others. You can convert your lesson to an online lesson or may need to cancel.
If you cancel within 24 hours of your lesson a cancellation fee will apply. I will try to convert this to a makeup lesson during school or summer holidays for you or to a longer lesson if one is available.
Remember if I am unwell it will mean a lot of lessons get cancelled.
Tuition & Fees
- Lessons fees are pre – paid. Payment is due 14 days after invoicing.
- Payment can be weekly, fortnightly or monthly to suit.
- Payments can be made by online banking, cash or Visa.
- Payments not made by the due date will incur a $10 late fee.
- Students will need to purchase method books and other music on occasion throughout the year. (I will try to keep music purchase to a minimum )
- Books and music may be purchased through me.
- With digital music score downloads I am happy to share links for you to purchase these directly if you prefer.
- Any printing charges are additional.
- I also loan material from my teaching library.
- A4 80gsm printing black and white will be invoiced at 17 cents per page.
- A4 80gsm colour will be invoiced at $1.00 per page.
Additional event fees may be required for competitions and exams.
To those students of families who wish to prepare for exams I am happy to support this, but it is not a prerequisite for taking lessons from me. Exam fees as published at the start of each year and remain the same price until the December of that year.
Exam fees need to be received by Karen Boyce Music Limited before the candidate is entered with the Examination Board.